Google
 

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

This past week


I have had an eventful week.

We've done loads of stuff in the last 7 days and to a great extent, it has been great fun.

We started celebrating S's birthday the previous day and were at a posh restaurant at midnight. This was a futuristic modern European restaurant. But I'm fairly certain I'm never going back. Why? Because the duds didn't know how to serve us nicely despite the fact that we were the ONLY guests. And I told the DJ that it was my husband's birthday at midnight, so could he please play "Happy Birthday"? "Sorry Ma'm. We only play House and Lounge music."

I thought that was fine. But when the clock struck 12, I wished S and hugged him. Not one of the restaurant's staff even bothered to wish him. What does it cost to say, "Many happy Returns"? Maybe in "Modern" Europe they don't wish people. That's a little too futuristic for me. I am a little old fashioned in these matters.

Now coming to the nice part. I got the day off. Why? Because my company has a policy that allows employees a day off on the birthdays of their spouse and children. Isn't that fun? I spent the day making a nice cake for the birthday boy. You can read all about it here.

After cutting the cake, we went shopping. I got him a gift and he got me one. (I'm liking it even more.) Then we bought a whole lot of stuff for the house and to aid my food blogging efforts. And then we went to our favourite restaurant in the whole world, oops on the whole earth: EARTH.

There, the manager, chef, waiters... just about everyone came and wished S. We got such royal treatment despite the fact that restaurant was overcrowded. We had some nice wine with mushroom starters, pizza, pasta and the chef brought us a special cheesecake (with his compliments) with a candle on it and "Happy Birthday Sachin" written on the plate with syrup.

THIS is the stuff birthdays are made of. I'm not saying that on other days people can be rude. All I'm saying is that be nice, but be extra nice on someone's birthday.

I had a few cooking firsts. The cake and the icing were a definite first (in 20 years). I also baked my first successful batch of masala buns and then, my very first bread.

My office has been sealed by the MCD and until the matter is resolved, we are working from home. So, that gives me about 2-3 hours extra to myself in a day.

I was interviewed by CNN IBN on Monday and S and I came on two of their live TV reports as well. After our earlier India Today feature, we're suddenly very very media friendly. After the burglaries, we featured on Aaj Tak and an auto driver in Delhi recognized me the next day and was very sympathetic.

I have also completed 8 years of being part of a workforce. A very rewarding 8 years this has been. I walked into the office of a TTK subsidiary on the 8th of August 1999 and there has been no looking back. I think about giving this all up, I think about it a lot. But will I get around to it, I don't know. Only time will tell.

6 comments:

Revathi said...

Convey S my best birthday wishes.
Nice company you work for, which one is it btw? Can you put a towel and reserve a seat for me ;)

Love
R

Chitra said...

Hey Arundhati,
Definitely happening week i say. Ya that restaurant sucks...how can they not wish someone on his/her bday...oh c'mn cant take that. anyways good u had a nice time the next day. Also is ur report abt the burglary on cnn-ibn website too? lemme know...wd definitely want to take a glimpse.

Raaga said...

Sure Revathi :-)

and I'll pass on your wishes.

Raaga said...

Yes Chitra... we're never going back there.

And no the website doesn't carry anything!!

Damitra said...

a very happy birthday to S! Hey, my husband's b'day is coming up too...lemme know if you have any nice ideas for a gift! By and large, men are terrible to shop for :(

Raaga said...

@Damitra: haven't gotten beyond the shirt perfume thing :-) its only my second birthday with S... last year we were engaged and this time married... before that... if I wished him on his birthday, it was big enough a deal.