Google
 

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Children of a Lesser God

I write this as I sit in front of the TV, watching the horrifying scenes. I wonder how they can do this again and again. One city after another. The time and place of attack seem to get "better" each time so that more people are shaken up, so that more people killed. Should I feel thankful that I decided not to go to my favourite Morning Stores at GK-I and went to sleep instead? Somehow I am not able to do that. Instead, I feel terrible about the folks that did choose to go and who may not be able to sleep again.

I have never understood how one person can bring himself/herself to take the life of another. When I read The Prisoner of Zenda, this sentence stayed with me: "You won't kill me unarmed?" cried Rupert, in alarmed scandalised expostulation. I altered my thinking a little bit then. Murder in cold blood is what I loathe the most.

Innocent people waiting at bus-stops, traveling in city buses, spending a weekend with their loved ones, going about their lives as normal have been attacked in each of our blasts. Having lived in the NCR for about 3-4 years in all, I know the significance of this weekend. The period of "shraadh" starts from Monday and local people do not make any purchases of any kind during this period. So people must have been out to finish whatever shopping they had pending so that they don't have to wait till Navaratri. What an outing it turned out be!

I wonder how the people who did this sleep at night. I wonder how they can take pride in such acts. I wonder how anyone can make a point in this manner. I wonder how taking lives of innocent people can ever be justified, however crooked one's sense of logic can be. Angry, sad, frustrated... I am not sure exactly how I feel right now. These people must be very ill, nothing else seems probable. I can only pray that these people see the enormity of the crimes they are committing. That they get cured of their illness. People who can take the life of others, especially in cold blood, must, according to my segmentation, be children of a lesser god.

8 comments:

Revathi said...

It cannot be a lesser God, just satan. And, they are incapable of the human act of thinking. They probably sleep at night with intoxication to silence their God side.

BTW, what exactly happened?

Goutham said...

Arun,I was quite alarmed reading abt the blast. Hope you and your folks are alright. It is a terrible thing!

Chitra said...

Know feels so terrible and helpless :(

Rohit Kumar said...

And by the virtue of thinking that somebody's god is lesser (for whatever they did) what do we make out of ourselves!

Isnt that way of thinking the source of these difference in the first place.

It is our natural instinct to blame. Understanding never gets a chance.

And to top that, they show movies like RDB to this generation!

Raaga said...

I am not bringing religion into this... I am saying that anyone who kills another in cold blood... anyone who takes the life an innocent person... must be very ill... or must be a child of a lesser god...

Rachel said...

The pain I saw on Tv did hit me...it was very saddening to see them helplessly sitting on the spot wounded until help arived...

Unknown said...

Its so crazy you know. Last time when Delhi was targeted just before Diwali in 2005, hubby and I had left SN market moments before the blast ripped the juicewala we used to frequent. Its sad...and so utterly unfair to those poor souls who have lost their lives for no reason at all!!!

kochuthresiamma p .j said...

'Too much of sacrifice can make a stone of the heart' -that's yeats in easter 1916.
no. they'll never regret it - unless of course indoctrination is neutralised. their hearts are hrdened-minds numb.